The University of Central Florida (UCF) Libraries, Orlando, seeks an experienced and innovative Head of Acquisitions and Collection Services to provide vision and leadership for the department. This position reports to the Associate Director for Collections and Technical Services. Active participation in the intellectual life and administrative activities of the Libraries and University and maintaining a record of professional contribution is expected.
The department includes three librarians and ten paraprofessionals plus student assistants who license and manage online resources, administer a large print and digital approval plan, and oversee several patron-driven acquisitions plans. The acquisitions budget is approximately six million dollars. There are small binding and gift operations. The library uses the Ex Libris Aleph system with the EBSCO Discovery System (EDS) discovery layer and plans to migrate to a next generation system in the near future. Department librarians and staff manage EDS and are responsible for the ongoing accessibility of online resources. Librarians and staff work collaboratively with other departments on library-wide projects as well as day-to-day activities.
Responsibilities of the Acquisitions and Collection Services Department Head:
· Overall management of collection development activities and acquisitions services in a user-focused academic library;
· Coordination of collection development policies;
· Evaluation of the libraries’ collections and coordination of the collection development activities of twenty librarians who serve as liaisons to academic departments;
· Allocates the collections budget and is responsible for its effective administration, including the acquisition of library resources in all formats;
· Provides leadership for a knowledgeable staff in a changing environment;
· Develops and implements departmental policies; and
· Fosters a spirit of collaboration in a positive, productive environment.
· Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution;
· Experience in collection development or acquisitions work;
· Experience with an integrated library system; and
· Supervisory experience.
· Knowledge of standard selection and collection evaluation methods and tools;
· Experience with approval plans and monographic and serials acquisitions;
· Knowledge of licensing for online resources;
· An understanding of collection development trends and issues for research libraries, including emerging practices and standards for resource acquisition;
· Knowledge of current trends in library technology;
· Experience with budget projections, allocations, and reports;
· The ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with teaching faculty;
· The ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with publishers and vendors;
· Experience with consortial purchasing and working with statewide and regional collection development colleagues;
· A commitment to diversity in the workplace; and
· Record of professional contributions.
Environment: The University of Central Florida is one of the nation’s largest public universities, enrolling over 61,000 students and offering ninety-two bachelor’s, eighty-three master’s, and thirty-one doctoral programs. The UCF Libraries houses a collection of more than two million volumes and 52,000 serials, and serves as a partial depository for government documents and patents. Full-time staffing of 106 includes 43 faculty. For more information about the UCF Libraries see
Salary and Rank: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a full time, twelve month, non-tenure track faculty position with insurance and retirement benefits, 22 paid annual days, 13 sick days, 9 holidays, and no state income tax.
To Apply: For position number 38564 submit a letter of application addressing the stated qualifications, a full curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references at http://www.jobswithucf.com/postings/44700 by the closing date, March 17, 2016. Review of applications will begin immediately for an anticipated start date in summer 2016. Questions may be directed to Search Committee Chair, Mary Page, at Mary.Page@ucf.edu. Searches are conducted in accordance with the state of Florida open-records laws. UCF is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link: