Please excuse cross postings. Georgia State University has extended the application deadline for the Department Head of Technical Services position until July 8, 2016.
For the full posting, see http://library.gsu.edu/files/2012/11/VacancyAnnouncementDepartment-HeadTechnical-ServicesSpr2016.pdf
GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
DEPARTMENT HEAD, TECHNICAL SERVICES
Position and Responsibilities:
Georgia State University Library seeks a dynamic, knowledgeable leader for its department of Technical Services. The Department Head will play a leadership role in a service-oriented environment, providing direction for all aspects of cataloging, acquisitions, electronic and continuing resources, including strategic planning, budget management, and management of departmental personnel.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Collections and Technical Services, the Head of Technical Services provides leadership and vision for the department including developing and implementing creative approaches to the work of the department. The head oversees all activities including purchasing, licensing, facilitating access to licensed content, cataloging of materials in all formats and physical processing of materials. Currently, library services are supported by Ex Libris Voyager integrated library system. All University System of Georgia (USG) libraries are migrating to Alma and are now engaged in the planning process with implementation to begin and be completed during fiscal year 2017.
The department head works collaboratively and advances ongoing working relationships with the library’s business office, collection development and management, special collections, digital library services and the College of Law Library. The Head has overall responsibility for personnel supervision and resources management within the department which currently consists of two librarians and eight staff.
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree in information/library science.
• Minimum five years of successful and increasingly responsible professional experience in cataloging, acquisitions or electronic and continuing resources.
• Experience working in an academic library.
• Knowledge of current practice, research and trends research in cataloging, e-resources and acquisitions.
• Experience with budget planning and expenditure analysis.
• Ability to provide leadership and vision for technical services.
• Experience supervising, mentoring, and training library personnel.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to work effectively with culturally diverse library users and colleagues.
• Ability to pass a background check.
• Familiarity with best practices and standards for digital collections metadata and digital asset management systems (DAMS).
• Experience supervising faculty librarians.
• Experience working in a consortial environment.
• Record of professional service and scholarly accomplishments.
Salary and Rank
$65,000 - $75,000 for 12 months. Salary commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience.
Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of materials will begin June 6, 2016 and continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Georgia State University
Attn: Human Resource Officer
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202 (404) 413-2700 firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgia State University is an equal opportunity educational institution/affirmative action employer strongly committed to cultural diversity.
Katherine Hart, MLIS
Electronic & Continuing Resources Librarian
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur Street, SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link: