University of Pittsburgh School of Law Barco Law Library Cataloging /Systems Librarian
The University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Barco Law Library is seeking a Cataloging/Systems Librarian to manage all aspects of the Library’s cataloging operations and the library’s integrated library management system and other technology systems. The successful candidate will be a member of the library’s management team reporting to the Director of the Library and will supervise one full-time paraprofessional plus student staff. The Barco Law Library houses over 465,000 volumes and volume-equivalents and uses the ExLibris Voyager library system in cooperation with other campus libraries.
Specific Duties include:
• Direct and manage all resource description and classification processes and assume the lead role in developing and implementing long and short-term strategic plans for cataloging operations including electronic resources cataloging. Lead and facilitate continuous improvement of cataloging functions; develop and update procedures workflow and policies to ensure data integrity, uniformity, and reliable consistent discovery.
• Perform original and copy cataloging. Train and supervise paraprofessional staff in creation and revision of bibliographic records, holdings, and authority work as necessary. Manage vendor record loads into the library’s ILS on a regular basis.
• Manage the Law Library’s participation in the campus-wide ExLibris library management system, including serving as on-site system administrator, monitoring system and growth requirements, evaluate and recommend appropriate hardware and software for the library system, oversee local impact of hardware and software upgrades, and resolve data problems. Develop and implement policies and procedures for the library management system and recommend system goals and priorities.
• Identify, implement, and manage other library technology systems, including OCLC Connection and Worldshare, the University’s PRISM service and the library’s electronic resource management tools. Liaise with School of Law IT staff as required.
• Act as a liaison to the University Library System’s information technology staff and the catalog management staff.
• Serve as a liaison to a select group of faculty members.
• Participate in collection development activities. Oversee onsite and offsite Law Library collections; gather and report annual collection statistics to various national organizations.
• Establish and foster contacts with other professionals and libraries by participating in committee work and activities of professional associations.
• Special projects and miscellaneous duties as assigned.
M.L.S. from accredited program with 3 to 4 years of cataloging/technical services professional experience. Successful candidate should have experience with cataloging and metadata tools such as OCLC, RDA, MARC, MARC Edit, LCSH, LC classification and authority control. Significant experience with integrated library management systems (ExLibris Voyager preferred) and system administration experience. Also required are excellent project management skills; strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail; ability to carry out responsibilities with a minimum of supervision; excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and a strong service commitment.
Preferred: Experience in a law library or with legal materials, proficiency in standard PC applications, and the ability to quickly learn new technologies; reading knowledge of one or more Western European languages.
Salary and faculty librarian rank are commensurate with experience. Benefits include dental, eye, and medical insurance options, TIAA-CREF or Vanguard retirement, University educational, and 23 days of vacation annually.
To apply, please send a letter of application, resume, and names of three references to: University of Pittsburgh Barco Law Library, �G Helen A. Jarosz, 3900 Forbes Ave., 405 Law Building, Pittsburgh, PA 15260. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer
Barco Law Library
University of Pittsburgh
3900 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link: