Apologies for cross posting
Hennepin County Library is seeking a Metadata Librarian for the Cataloging section of Technical Services. Hennepin County Library is located in the Minneapolis Metropolitan Area, in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Description below, full details and application instructions are at https://www.hennepin.us/jobs
Salary $50,452.48 - $69,305.60 Annually
Location 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka
Job Type Full-time
Job Number 18LIB183JRF100
Closing 8/28/2018 11:59 PM Central
County Library's (HCL) Cataloging section of Technical Services is seeking a Metadata Librarian with experience in a library cataloging or metadata department. This position will catalog materials in multiple formats and multiple languages and perform
extensive authority control work. Most of the work involves creation of original bibliographic and authority records or extensive upgrades to existing bibliographic and authority records. This individual will also make record corrections and perform bibliographic
and authority database maintenance.
The Cataloging section at HCL provides bibliographic records and metadata for the 41 libraries. Staff select, enhance, or create bibliographic and authority records using OCLC's Connexion software. Records are exported into the Library's Horizon integrated library system (ILS) and accessed by patrons through the Bibliocommons catalog.
HCL serves more than one million residents of the city of Minneapolis and suburban Hennepin County. The 41 library system offers more than 5 million books, CDs, and DVDs, materials in more than 40 languages, 1600 public computers, and an extensive website.
Our mission is to nourish minds, transform lives, and build community together. The HCL staff, board, and community envision a future where library services ensure every person has the opportunity and resources to read, graduate, engage, work, and learn.
Candidates with an aptitude for another language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position includes:
· Catalog, both original and copy enhancement, materials in multiple formats and multiple languages.
· Perform authority control work including work for the Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO).
· Understand the application of national standards including: Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and Machine Readable Cataloging (MARC).
· Perform electronic format and records management with vendor provided records using WorldShare and File Transfer Protocol (FTP) sites.
· Create procedural documentation for cataloging of specific formats or collections.
· Assist, instruct, and train catalogers, interns, and interim staff.
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
· An ALA (American Library Association) accredited master's degree or higher in library science or information science.
· Experience creating, editing, and transforming metadata.
· Aptitude for or experience with music cataloging, both sound recordings and scores.
· Experience with or knowledge of cataloging techniques and tools including OCLC Connexion, Classification Web, Cataloger's Desktop, and RDA Toolkit.
· Ability to:
o Use and create complex spreadsheets in Excel, enter and modify content in SharePoint, use Outlook email and calendars, and prepare Word documents.
o Work with library materials in more than one language. HCL collects materials in Chinese, Hmong, Vietnamese, Korean, Hindi, Arabic, Somali, Spanish, Russian, French, and German.
o Interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Bilingual candidates must pass a language assessment to qualify for bilingual duties and pay. Final candidates will be required to complete a background check.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Scott C. Markham
Hennepin County Library
12601 Ridgedale Drive
Minnetonka, Minnesota 55305
To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link: