Email list hosting service & mailing list manager

Editing Serials Records (Brenda Block) Marcia Tuttle 04 Apr 2000 17:32 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:02:10 -0400
From: "Block,Brenda" <blockb@OCLC.ORG>
Subject: Editing Serials Records

In response to Laura Vogler request on editing serials records: OCLC member
libraries that have a Full-mode cataloging authorization or higher, can
"close-out," link, edit, and/or correct minimal-level serial records with
encoding -level 'K' or 'M' and full-level non-CONSER serial records with 10
or fewer holdings. (CONSER records have one of the following codes in field
042: lc, lcd, nlc, nsdp, isds/c, nst, msc.)

For records that are authenticated or have more than 10 holdings, there are
several error reporting options.

For example, errors on records that do *not require proof*, incorrect
subfield coding, mistagging, obvious typos, indicator errors, etc., can be
reported using whichever method of reporting errors to OCLC is easiest for

1.  Paper change requests.
2.  Online error reporting (using field 952 and submitting via the 'err'
3.  Forms for reporting error can be found at: and forms for reporting
4.  The e-mail  address for reporting errors is:

 See OCLC Online System News item no. 33 for a list of error reporting

Changes that require proof:

Bibliographic records that have changes in the descriptive elements of the
catalog record and changes in frequency, issuing body, title changes, etc.,
will require photocopies from the pertinent parts of the serial or serials
in question.  These can only be sent in via paper change requests.  A copy
of the paper form can be found in Chapter 5 of the OCLC Bibliographic
Formats and Standards.


--Brenda Block
Manager, Quality Control Section

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:52:48 -0500
From: Laura Vogler <>
Subject: Editing serials records


I sent a message out earlier about what I thought was an incorrectly updated
OCLC record for Angewandte Chemie.

I have since come across another record that needs to have the frequency
updated, 20th Century British History.  The frequency changed in 1999.

I guess what I would really like to know is when I come across records in
OCLC that I think need to be updated or corrected, to where do I direct my
inquiry?  Can any cataloger update a serials record in OCLC or does it have
to be done through a CONSER library?  Should I send my inquiry to
CONSER directly?

Your advice will be appreciated!

Laura Vogler

Laura Vogler, Serials Manager
Wabash College, Lilly Library
301 W. Wabash Ave, P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN  47933

phone:  765-361-6215
fax:    765-361-6295