Before AACR2, differentiating uniform titles weren't used. Maybe someone
from the CONSER program can give you current policy on retrospective assigning.
When I worked at NYU back in the mid-80's, we added them, trying as much as
possible to keep the description and notes the same. However, that sometimes
proved to be a herculean task, especially if issuing bodies and places
changed, and you cataloged from the latest issue.
When I look back, I don't think (and this is my personal feeling only) it
was always the best thing to do, that is, to just add a 130. If I did, I
usually tried to upgrade the description, especially if it was a valuable title (I
worked in a special collection), and we felt it would clarify information
that might seem obscure in the old record. Lots of other RLIN libraries tried
to do it, and some of these hybrid records were very confusing, both to
catalogers and to users.
Serials cataloger not currently working.